Liz Wessel, CEO and Co-founder of WayUp, leads us into battle with fierce values and inspiring stories about a team fighting to democratize hiring for students and employers.
Listen: iTunes | Overcast | Stitcher | Pocket Casts | More
Our mission is to connect college students with awesome opportunities. Our vision is to democratize the hiring process for students and employers alike.
- Execute the battle plan
- Fight with the strength of a platoon
- Fight for our users
- Make your parents proud of who you are as a person
- Be a master at your craft, but know you’re not THE master
- Seek and accept weapons you’ve never used
- Win the war, not just the battle
WayUp is the largest online marketplace for students and recent graduates to find jobs and internships.
- What Liz learned about culture at Google (user focus + employee growth)
- Finding the right time to develop values
- How the founders’ extraordinary work habits effect the team
- How they think about, and the state of, diversity within the team
- A great outcome resulting from an employee sending a cold email
- Supporting employee initiatives that make a difference beyond the company mission
- Employer tips for hiring (ask more questions, show requirements as preferred qualifications)
- Employee tip: apply multiple times if you are rejected for a job you really want
- What Liz learned from her most painful public failure during Google India’s equivalent of Cyber Monday
Recorded: April 25, 2016
Host and editor: Bryan Landers
Theme song: “Dum Dee Dum Dum Dee” by Shane Endsley